Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums (http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Trail Head (http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Prayers for a friend (http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1759)

Wink 01-12-2016 09:00 PM

Prayers for a friend

1 Attachment(s)
I just got news that my good friend and long time riding pal Curt (Griz) had a major heart attack today. He is currently unconcious. My understanding is that they are keeping his body temp down to try and avoid any brain damage.

He is currently in North Carolina where he was busy building his retirement home. Too far away to see but not too far for our prayers.

For those that don't know Curt, to say he is a character is an understatement. He gave himself the screen name Griz and it fits. Some of us refer to him as "Bad Santa".

He has been volunteering time brushing trails and driving the groomer for the Straits system for several years. If someone had a problem with a sled or truck, he was the first one to help, no matter how cold or how dirty.

I'm not going to draw this out anymore. I do know that he is way too bullheaded to not make it out of this. But a few extra words to the man upstairs sure can't hurt.

Wink

conniver04 01-13-2016 06:49 AM

Re: Prayers for a friend

Wink, You blew me away with this call last night. You can't ask for a better guy or a better friend than Curt. I'm sure he will pull through and we will be praying for him and Becca. Stay strong buddy!

MJA 01-13-2016 06:52 AM

Praying for a full recovery. Stay strong and positive Wink, he will fight through this.

ToddMeister 01-13-2016 08:03 AM

Yep will keep Griz in our prayers and hope he makes a fast recovery.

Snow VP 01-13-2016 09:39 AM

Well that is horrible. Just one of many good friends that we have met through here. Was looking forward to seeing him this winter for sure. Sending good thoughts...

snopro7c 01-13-2016 12:48 PM

Sending prayers up Uncle Curt....you got this buddy

Floyd 01-13-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wink (Post 12770)
I just got news that my good friend and long time riding pal Curt (Griz) had a major heart attack today. He is currently unconcious. My understanding is that they are keeping his body temp down to try and avoid any brain damage.

He is currently in North Carolina where he was busy building his retirement home. Too far away to see but not too far for our prayers.

For those that don't know Curt, to say he is a character is an understatement. He gave himself the screen name Griz and it fits. Some of us refer to him as "Bad Santa".

He has been volunteering time brushing trails and driving the groomer for the Straits system for several years. If someone had a problem with a sled or truck, he was the first one to help, no matter how cold or how dirty.

I'm not going to draw this out anymore. I do know that he is way too bullheaded to not make it out of this. But a few extra words to the man upstairs sure can't hurt.

Wink

Well said, Wink! If you know Curt, you would never forget him. He really did put a lot of time and effort into helping keep the Straits trail system the best in the state, despite being 430 miles from there. Prayers for a fast and full recovery.

polaris4me 01-13-2016 06:31 PM

Prayers go out for you Griz. Hang in there buddy.

Skeet 01-13-2016 11:29 PM

Stay strong Griz

conniver04 01-14-2016 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thinking about you today buddy. Stay strong!!!

skidoodude04 01-14-2016 03:04 PM

Praying for Curt!!! Love ya buddy!

Snow VP 01-23-2016 10:47 PM

Bunch of good friends telling tall tales and feel good stories. ..

Fight on buddy.

Snow VP 01-23-2016 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Makers mark for a friend

conniver04 02-04-2016 06:37 AM

It was a very touching night for sure. I loved hearing all the stories everyone had about Curt. The great news is he must have heard us talking about him and woke up that same day. Miracles do happen! Keep believing! Curt, Keep fighting the fight and we all hope to see you soon!!!

polaris4me 02-04-2016 05:17 PM

That is good news. Keep fighting Griz.

Snow VP 02-08-2016 09:13 AM

Posting up my weekly get well soon Griz.

Wishing you many hot nurses and rehab assistants.

Wink 02-08-2016 08:38 PM

As many of you know, this story has become a real life miracle. It turned out Curt actually had some sort of brain seizure. He was in a coma for over 10 days. The doctors said there was no brain activity and they pulled life support and put him in a hospice. A few days after that, he woke UP. His first words were "I need a beer", honest to God!!!!!

He is now in rehab in a nursing home here in Celina. I went and saw him tonight for the first time. I am speechless. One week ago he could barely talk and couldn't hold a glass of water. Now he is walking with a walker and carries conversations. He knew who I was and we BS'd a while. They say there is no apparent loss of motor function, just is very weak. He should be out of the nursing home by the end of the month.

I have never witnessed a miracle but this certainly has to be at least that.

Thank you all for your hopes and prayers.

polaris4me 02-09-2016 05:58 AM

That is great news.:)

Snow VP 02-09-2016 08:54 AM

Fantastic news. If he recognized your ugly mug then he must be OK!

We appreciate you keeping us all informed, and well wishes to Curt & family.

conniver04 02-09-2016 07:55 PM

That is great news! Miracles do happen!

Wink 06-12-2016 11:13 AM

Wanted to give a more current update.

Curt is doing amazingly well. I believe he may even be ready to stop his rehab sessions. He still isn't able or allowed to drive but last week he played 7 holes of golf.

He is limited to one Makers Mark a day and that is probably the hardest part for him to take. LOL

He is back to being busy orchestrating the build of his retirement home with his dream shop. It even has a paint booth for crying out loud.

I can't put into words the changes and improvements he has gone thru in the last 5 months.

I do not think he gets on here much anymore if at all, so on his behalf I want to thank all of you for your prayers, thoughts and kind words. He is a great friend to all of us.

Go Fast or Go Home 06-12-2016 12:56 PM

This is good news. So glad to hear he is doing well.

MJA 06-13-2016 03:37 PM

Great news!

But is that one shot or one bottle of makers mark?