Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Club News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Club News Check out what is going on in the Straits Club

Old 09-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Brushing & Signing 2020

Welcome back from a strange summer folks!

So with everything going on I want to detail what is in store with brushing & signing this year. The date will be October 24th. That is going to be the main date that we are going to have all of the trails signed - our main focus. Brushing will concentrate on safe corners, and wedging signs out for later mechanical brushing.

((There may be a small operation on the 31st or Nov 7th if needed))

Operation will be kinda normal. The DNR has a bunch of guidelines that we are supposed to follow. There is alot that are not practical, but here is what I have come up with:

Friday evening I and a couple of people will make sure trailers and saws are ready to go.
On Saturday, optional meeting at the truck stop, 7am for a free breakfast. We will have an area setup and be seperated a bit from the rest of the customers. We will have tables where groups of family and friends that normally see each other can sit together, others will be a bit distanced, as best as they can.
Meet 8am at the Super 8 on US-2 in St. Ignace to load up and head out on trail assignments. Again family members and friends will go together in trucks, and we may send a couple of extra vehicles to seperate people out a little more than normal. I will get a list of people and what your desires are, and will provide picnic lunches if that is what people want. Yes restaurants are more open here than downstate, however they are also way more busy, and I am afraid that it may take 2 hours to have a burger someplace. This will be discussed here and I will do what people will like for lunch.
Work will start at the outer trails and work towards Iggy, hopefully we can get everything done, but it is going to be a long days work to get it done. (FYI, along with the regular maintenance, there are a few new ATV signs that need to go up).

We only have 2 signing trailers, so it will be important to keep those moving all day, and concentrate on keeping them moving. Normally 3 man crews work best on those. Brushers will support and normally follow the signers, again in 2-3 man teams.

For the provided dinner, I have 1/2 of Freds Pub reserved, where we will be setup again with families grouped, to meet state requirements. If we have a capacity crowd, we will get the whole restaurant, so I will need a good count on helpers and family members a couple of days out.

There will be no judgement, if someone is on comfortable with the dinner situation, I will provide them and their family with gift certificates that can be used later.

On the whole virus situation. I feel that it is what it is - we have to deal with it. I respect that everyone has their whole feelings on it, and I am going to accommodate everyone the best that we can. There is going to be no debate on what is REQUIRED to be done, we are just going to do that, and if people want to do more, then that is great too.

What will be required while involved, all volunteers and their families will be required to follow the guidelines as required by the local businesses. That means masks will be worn when entering stores. We need them to get to our tables for food, where they can be removed. We will space people out as best we can at these establishments. I hope to group friends and families that already have exposure to each other together in work vehicles during the day. If you want to travel alone, than that is all good too (technically the DNR wants everyone in separate vehicles, but I am going to group those what want to). I am not going to require masks when out working, or traveling, however if anyone would like to you are certainly welcome to, and nobody is going to bother you about it. I am going to wipe the clubs saws down with disinfectant at the beginning of the day. If you would like to use wipes during the day, I will provide them, just ask. Other than that, we are going to space out a little more than usual, and just try to do our thing, and have a good time.

The one extra thing that I am going to do, is I have a contactless thermometer, and in the morning I will be taking the temp of all of the workers, and all of the family members who come to dinner too. Many of us have to certify our health and take temps before going to work and I think this is a quick and a very small thing that I can do to help ensure my families health, as well as yours too. I know people who have had the virus, a couple there is zero issues, it hit another hard, and put another in the hospital. I care about everyone that helps out the club, and again want to make as many people comfortable as I can, and I think regardless of our own personal beliefs on the whole thing, we can help out each other a bit in this situation. If anyone has a particular concern, or even thinks the whole plan is messed up, feel free to post, or message me directly, and I will address it.

Once again, I can not make this would trail system happen without those of you on this board, and I can never thank you enough.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
polaris4me
Trail Master

Default Re: Brushing & Signing 2020

We will be there the 24th.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
polaris4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
Wink
Trail Master

I will be there on the 24th. I can go along with any precautions you suggest.

Yes this COVID situation is real and effects people so differently. I have a long time friend going on his 4th week in the hospital. Started out as COVID but has changed into so much more. My girlfriends 83 year old father, in a nursing home, tested positive with no symptoms. Quarantined for 3 weeks, negative now and no side effects.

I do however think beer keeps the virus at bay!!!!

Member:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
ToddMeister
Guest Groomer & THE Bay City Roller

Arrow Re: Brushing & Signing 2020

Planning on coming UP on the 24th.
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
MISORVA
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
I do however think beer keeps the virus at bay!!!!
We shall administer much antiviral then!
Old 10-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
randyv
I'm New Here

Will be there with 2 people
randyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
conniver04
Seller of Cars, Caffey Trail Lover.

Hello All, Unfortunately I will not be able to make it this weekend. I'm bummed out but I will be up in the next couple weeks to help if needed. Have fun all. I love the times we all spend doing brushing and signing.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
2020 Renegade XRS 900T
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
Benjamingvsu
Liquid Cooled

I will be there; may or may not have 1 or 2 others with me.

Polesaw & Chainsaw - let me know where to start; I may not make it for breakfast but will try to meet up at the hotel if I do miss breakfast.
Benjamingvsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
Wink
Trail Master

I know the truck stop requires masks until seated, what about Fredís??

Member:
MSA

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
randyv
I'm New Here

Sorry wonít be able to make it this year
randyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamingvsu View Post
I will be there; may or may not have 1 or 2 others with me.

Polesaw & Chainsaw - let me know where to start; I may not make it for breakfast but will try to meet up at the hotel if I do miss breakfast.
You can start right in Iggy and head North on the grade if you like. We have mechanical brushing North of Moran, but it will not make it down to Iggy this year. Wedge in the signs and especially stop & stop ahead signs as things are starting to get grown over quite a bit. Any major hangers need to come out too.

THANKS!
Old 10-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #12
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
I know the truck stop requires masks until seated, what about Fredís??
FYI, all local business require them per health department rules.

Agree or not we ask all individuals not make it hard on the employees, they are just trying to do a job.

THANKS!

I think we all will try to not talk politicas, or virus stuff and just talk about having a good time this winter!
Old 10-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Snow VP
Administrator

Looks like we are going to have a huge crew this weekend. We will try to keep everyone busy! Thanks for all the help!