Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Old 01-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-11-2021

Hello to all out there in internet land. I know some of you have been clamoring to get your dose of UP trail report here, and I am sorry this is so late in the season, but hey, there isn't really anything to report on that front.

I wanted to take a bit of time and post to let you know about what is going on here.

First, the weather:
Ya, right now texas has more snow then Iggy does. No really. We have maybe 3in on the ground, and will lose some of that over the next few days. Forecast is doing a minor polar vortex thing happening this coming weekend, and it will turn maybe 10d colder. A touch of snow on Friday, will help. Long term forecast isn't really clear on precip next week, but we are going to need a major storm got get things going. Good news is there is frost in the ground, so the snow will stick, and we can do an ice base when possible.

Second, club info:
Things are ready to go around here. HUGE thanks to our regulares who came up to brush and sign amid the pandemic. It is kinda weird, but we got it all done. That weekend has pushed me to the final decision that we will only have 1 brushing and signing weekend from now on. We will need to get another trailer, and a bit more gear, but doing it all in 1 day is making so much more sense now. It will still be the same time of year, but we may jump back and forth between the 2 weeks looking for good weather. That discussion will happen at a later date.
Groomers are all prepped and ready to roll. There is news on that front. I recently have been pushing for a new tractor from the DNR. It kinda worked, and in late November we were shipped a new-to-us 2006 model Deere 8230T. Visually, it is very similar to our other 2 machines, but it setup a bit different, and does not have enough hydraulic ports for our drag requirements. Good news is has more HP, so we will see how that works out.
Yes, that means we now have 3 groomers. The 'new' one is in Iggy, were we can keep an eye on it for now. 05 has been stationed in Epoufette, and 06 has now been permanently stationed in Trout Lake. We hope that splitting up the runs some will make for shorted trips for the volunteers and redundancy on the grooming operation. There has been more than once that we have been tasked with grooming all 101 miles of trail with 1 machine, and this will make that much more manageable.

Finally trail reports:
I have been doing trail reports (and other things) for over 15 years. It is time to step back from that. I tried to do that last season which didn't work, and I am taking a bigger step back this season, letting some new faces come up. With that I will not be reporting trail conditions this season. A consensus among the 3 grooming managers is that facebook will be the easiest thing for them to utilize. This will be a trial for this season to see how it goes, and if successful will continue into the future. You will still be getting reports right from the club via the groomer drivers and managers themselves, and we will still honestly and accurately report what is out there with pictures and video as in the past - I promise you that. We will never tell you that there is great conditions when it isn't rideable, you can count on that. Right now, my plan it to keep this page up and active, and I hope folks will still come here, but I understand that while this page was cutting edge back in 2005, there are many differing types of communication now available. I hope to have the main trail condition info harvested, consolidated and cross posted here and on MSA at least once a week, however I will not be doing that and I have not been able to talk to the person I have in mind about spearheading that. I will keep you updated on the status of that as well.

So with that, keep an eye here for the official announcement of the new facebook page, which will be up in the coming days. Any page that is out there now is unofficial, and will not be supported by the whole of the operation.

Finally, as you may have seen in other news, our pond hockey and the I500 snowmobile race have been cancelled. We are hoping that things turn around here soon, and the restraunts can open up more. Please don't make vaccines and masks political, do what its right for you, but RESPECT others choices, and certainly the workers and volunteers in that area that you ride this season. PRAY FOR SNOW, so we can get our season rolling.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
Attak06
Guest Groomer. Drainer of Water.

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-11-2021

Thanks for the updates Neil. Still doing the snow dance but still no results. Getting anxious ready to get this season started.
Self-Appointed Drain Commissioner
Attak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #3
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attak06 View Post
Thanks for the updates Neil. Still doing the snow dance but still no results. Getting anxious ready to get this season started.

A vision of you doing any kind of dance is one I would rather not have in my head.

Member:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
Attak06
Guest Groomer. Drainer of Water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
A vision of you doing any kind of dance is one I would rather not have in my head.
I donít blame you. Me dancing is not a pretty sight. ESPECIALLY my snow dance
Self-Appointed Drain Commissioner
Attak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
Bill
Trail Master

Thanks for all the information, very exciting to get an additional groomer. Letís hope the snow gods come thru and make up for this miserable start!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote