Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 12-06-18

Awoke to a little surprise today. Forecast were calling for trace to 1" last night, This morning we find a solid 6" of fresh snow! 9&10 is telling us this snow has less than 0.15 moisture content, which I believe as it is some of the driest snow I have seen in a long time, seems even drier than normal lake effect. It looks nice, but will not help a ton in the trail game. We are working on enough to start building a bse, but not there yet. Wayne is going to take a look in the MOran area as he has #6 out there already. I am guessing that we may pan the RR Grade a little, but mostly we are going to hold off on the rest of the system due to the forecast...

Which is, moderate temps of 28-34d and really no snow over the next 10 days. That should settle the snow down and once we get one more hit (which should be 14 days or so out, we will be able to get things rocking and rolling like we should. Fingers crossed we will have OK trails by the holidays. Unfortunately, looking at all of the long term weather websites, we are not going to build anything quicker than that.

Stay tuned, I will update things as I can. Look on the bright side, there is 10in of snow on the ground and we are doing far better than this time last year!

Couple of quick pics from my plow truck and yard to see the new snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181206_084100.jpg (20.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20181206_084721.jpg (33.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 12-06-18

It won't take much to tear this up. Driver said he could easily spin the track down to gravel, BUT check out this trail candy, 3 miles North of Moran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_IMG_3533.jpg (89.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
PolarisRider
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 12-06-18

And don't forget about all the hunters out on the forest roads yet trying to fill that last deer tag. Had a sledder scream around a corner only to find me and the crew covering most of the 2 track with a full size pickup. Glad it wasn't a tight blind corner and we had a little reaction time.

We did spend time getting all the sleds ready, and put on a couple test miles around the neighborhood. (SW of Rudyard).

There were a couple sleds in Trout Lk. Quite a few sled tracks S of Trout Lk. No sign of sleds on Cedarville connector.
- 05 600 Sabercat LX
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club - TASA
PolarisRider is offline   Reply With Quote