Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > General Discussion > Area Information & Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Area Information & Discussion Discuss the Straits Area - Ask a Question or Post your Experience

Old 02-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
mike ross
Junior Rider

Default Ice Bridge Updates

When we left the UP on Super Bowl Sunday the ice was frozen all the way across to the island. Looking for updates on if they will have the Christmas tree bridge across anytime soon.
mike ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
conniver04
Trail Master

Default Re: Ice Bridge Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike ross View Post
When we left the UP on Super Bowl Sunday the ice was frozen all the way across to the island. Looking for updates on if they will have the Christmas tree bridge across anytime soon.
Mike, the club will never endorse crossing to the island as conditions can change in the blink of an eye. The ice in the bay has been locked in but the ice all the way across just formed recently. Word has it a couple islanders crossed the other day but they usually do it far before a tree line is ever put up. If I see a tree bridge is put up I will let you know. I will be up tomorrow.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Gasgeber
I'm New Here

Hi,

thanks for the information, I was also interested in this information. If there is an update I would appreciate also an update in this thread. Thanks

Timo
Gasgeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Burksee
I'm New Here

Hey Mike, check the trail report from 2/08, there's some ice bridge info posted there from another member. Hoping to get up this coming weekend.
http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub...ead.php?t=1913
Burksee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
conniver04
Trail Master

The bridge is open and people are crossing. Be sure to check before crossing at anytime. The reports I have seen is between 4" and 12" of ice. I did hear reports about a pressure crack but people were still crossing. The island is charging$5.00 for a permit to ride the island. I heard there is supposed to be a pole by the landing to get the pass. Its on the honor system or you can go to the police station. I haven't heard of anyone gettiing a ticket yet but I'm sure thats coming with the amount of traffic going over there this weekend. Hope this helps everyone.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

I watched people ride across yesterday morning around 10am.

When I awoke this morning most of the ice is gone. Just a FYI.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
Burksee
I'm New Here

Thank you Neil, saw on Facebook yesterday what I think was a drone taking a video of some people crossing yesterday, called it the last trip on the ice bridge for this season. We ended up not going last weekend, called around and got reports that there were people crossing but there was no snow on the ice and very little to none on the trails/roads on the island. Although sad that we couldn't go but better safe than sorry, we'll have to try again next year.
Burksee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burksee View Post
Thank you Neil, saw on Facebook yesterday what I think was a drone taking a video of some people crossing yesterday, called it the last trip on the ice bridge for this season. We ended up not going last weekend, called around and got reports that there were people crossing but there was no snow on the ice and very little to none on the trails/roads on the island. Although sad that we couldn't go but better safe than sorry, we'll have to try again next year.
In one day the wind blew ALL of the ice away. That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. The reports were there was 4 to 12" of ice in there and overnight it was all blown away. When I drove downtown yesterday there was white caps in the bay. Really makes you think about the power of that waterway and mother nature.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
Snow VP
Administrator

We know the ice bridge completely went away in less than 24hrs time this year. Basically open water from Iggy to the Island. Where did all the ice go? Although it was warm those days, it is the winds that do the damage.

I knew the piles were over in Mackinaw City, but I didn't have a chance to get over there until this last Saturday to get pictures. Biggest was 30-40 feet high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice1.jpg (223.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Ice2.jpg (217.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ice3.jpg (211.5 KB, 37 views)