Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Old 02-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-13-20

"Okay, campers, rise and shine and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there today!" - Groundhog Day

Yep, COLD, about the coldest day of the year so far. It was -1 when I got up this morning, it is now 2d on a way to a 5d high. It will be cold again on Friday and moderate a bunch for great riding this weekend. BTW, it is Valentines day on Friday, so you did remember to get her a gift that you will leave on her pillow as you are jumping in the truck and headed to the UP.... RIGHT??? If not, you are welcome for the reminder, you can grab something from the gas station when you are fueling the sleds with cheap gas before heading up.
HaHAHaHa.

So just a trace of snow last night, and conditions out there should be in really good shape. The groomer drivers were not happy with the chop that had frozen into parts of the North sections of trails, so it was decided instead of doing a full circuit they would be doing a rip and return, out and back to cut, mix and hopefully re-lay some smoothness out there before the weekend. So if you came across a double backed groomer run, or a strangely groomed trail this week, that is what is going on. Everything should be laid back great for the weekend though. There is enough snow to get around town and on the sides of road ar OK for now. Groomers are running good, and will be running a full schedule now until an issue forces a change.

If you don't have a room in Iggy yet, grab it quick as there may not be any left. This weekend is the 14th annual LaBatte Blue Pond Hockey Championship. Town will be full of hockey players, and there will be games going on downtown on the ice Friday-Sunday. There is a free shuttle system running all over town from motels and bars for your enjoyment. Game are free to watch, there is a beer tent and a cornhole tournament too. If you want to ride in from out of the area to check it out, come South on the trail under I75, and hang a left at the ice rink, down the small alley, and you can park behind the Chamber of Commerce building on the right. Then it is an easy walk across main street to the entrance. Have fun!

Today's trail candy is courtesy of Wayne grooming into Iggy last night.
Enjoy what should be a picture perfect weekend all over Northern Michigan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_IMG_5783.jpg (41.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_IMG_5786.jpg (60.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
lowersnowgoer
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-13-20

I haven't posted much but ive been up all but 1 weekend since start of grooming rode all over central and eastern U P and you guys are rockin it!!!
Thanks again
lowersnowgoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

You are much welcome.

Today, the island ferry stopped running. It was 5d when I got up, and 10d now on the way to 15d today.

Hockey games start at noon, and town is already starting to buzz. Keith Gave, who is the author of the book "the Russian Five" is here signing books. That is a great story about the building of the red wings team. Cool guy, I met him yesterday. If you are riding into town, I suggest you check out the games out on the ice, corn hole, beer tent and I think they have food. FYI, the Driftwood will be packed so plan accordingly.

Both groomers reported excellent conditions last night. Here is a bonus trail candy pic, we normally don't get one from the West end, so check out the middle of the Cut River trail. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_IMG_5794.jpg (72.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Group of 12 coming to St. Ignace this Sunday. Trails are looking great. You guys/gals are awesome with your grooming and maintenance

We are staying at the Budget Host. How is the Railroad Grade heading North to Moran/Trout Lake.

Thanks
Don~
Go Fast or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
skidoodude04
Trail Master

In naubinway right now! Trails are amazing!!
skidoodude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast or Go Home View Post
Group of 12 coming to St. Ignace this Sunday. Trails are looking great. You guys/gals are awesome with your grooming and maintenance

We are staying at the Budget Host. How is the Railroad Grade heading North to Moran/Trout Lake.

Thanks
Don~
RR grade is typical. Flat and fast most times, somewhat choppy others depending on traffic. Good snow though.

Always suggest you take the West side of the lower loop out, then cut over to the Truck trail, and up to TL that way. Adds 15 minutes, but way funner ride.

Last edited by Snow VP : 02-14-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Snow VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Thanks.

That is usually what we do.

Don~
Go Fast or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:41 AM   #8
TL Dave
Junior Rider

Just groomed from Cut River to TL via the Carp River TT and back to Cut River by way of the RR Grade and Burma Grade. Have to say those trails are in awesome shape ó flat, firm and good snow! Almost makes me reconsider my practice of not riding on the weekends. Hope everyone enjoys what will probably be the best riding of the winter so far this weekend. The north trails will be groomed again tomorrow night so Sunday should be just as good.

Please be careful and stay to the right.
TL Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
Schuie
Trail Master

BEST TRAILS ALWAYS! I donít know what your secret is but when others are making excuses you guys are making flat trails! Even when theyíre choppy, they are flat and predictable. Rode to paradise from TL via strongs and back Via Newberry and Caffey. Chippewa snowchasers comes in a close second, but paradise and TASA need to take some lessons. Not knowing the ins and outs of grooming I would have to guess itís the cutting blade ahead of the tractor. Doesnít matter, if it wasnít for the burger at Silver Creek Pub and Fish and Hunt in Curtice, I would never leave the straights system! Thanks again for all the work you guys put in.
Schuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #10
Smooth
I'm New Here

Just saying thanks. Trails are awesome. Really appreciated your hard work - all the groomers.
Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #11
Snow VP
Administrator

Thank you for the thank yous!

I know the drivers appreciate the thanks.